Thursday, August 02, 2007

End of an era

Well. It's finished. 'Tsover. An era has ended, on two counts:

1) Bracksy and Thwaitesy resigned. For anyone not in Australia, this means that Victoria's Premier (Steve Bracks) and Deputy Premier (John Thwaites) have hung up their hats as State leaders. And very nice hats they were.

I am unexpectedly sad at this news, especially as I've had quite a bit to do with Thwaitesy over the last five years, most recently in his role as Water Minister, and I have to say that he seems quite a decent bloke (for a poli). I'll miss him. Sort of. Oh this is freakin' me out.

2) The Simple Knitted Bodice is finished.
And it will never see the light of day.
This is the jumper that has taken me three months to knit - the body lace finished on Mothers Day when I was in the maternity hospital possibly 'losing' Lachie, the right sleeve completed at the Royal Children's Hospital as Lachie underwent surgery at two weeks old, the left arm completed this week, at home, as we nursed Ben and Lachie through one of the worst colds I've come across (and I'm a Pom so that's saying something).
I was wondering how I'd ever wear this jumper, given the memories associated with it - but seems that is no longer a quandry.
Despite my meticulous calculations, and the fact that I swatched, measured and swatched again, it's just toooo big.
As the project was knit 'in the round' I didn't have any sewing up to do (hurrah) but as I wove in all the loose ends last night and tried on the bodice - I realised that it would fit a woman two sizes larger than me. Or a weight lifter with very muscly arms.
This could be for two reasons:
a) I was seven months pregnant when I started it.
b) I was eight months pregnant and / or extremely emotional while I was knitting it.
c) It's just a rather generously sized pattern (and I'm going with this one as I've found at least four other Simple Knitted Bodice knitters on the net who have had the same problem).
Anyway, I'm going to 'gift it" to my Mum (if she'll have it) and knit up another one in a smaller gauge to see if it makes the foggiest bit of difference.
Perhaps. If I ever recover from the first one...

No comments: